The countdown to the Santiago 2023 Parapan American Games has officially hit the 365-day mark. The Opening Ceremony will kick off the Games on November 17, 2023, with the Closing Ceremony to bookend it on November 26.
Canada is expecting to send a team featuring both Paralympians and NextGen athletes. Sport teams will be announced closer to the start of the Games.
Parapan Am Games Fast Facts
• The 2023 edition will be the seventh Parapan Am Games in history. The first was hosted by Mexico City in 1999.
• Canada has been home to the Parapan Am Games once, with Toronto hosting in 2015
• Chile is hosting the Games for the first time
• At the last Parapan Am Games, in Lima in 2019, Canada sent a team of 151 athletes and came home with 60 total medals – 17 gold, 21 silver, and 22 bronze
• 17 sports will be contested in Santiago: boccia, goalball, Para athletics, football 5-a-side, football 7-a-side, Para judo, Para swimming, wheelchair basketball, wheelchair rugby, wheelchair tennis, Para badminton, Para table tennis, Para archery, Para cycling (track and road), Shooting Para sport, Para powerlifting, and Para taekwondo
• Santiago is expected to feature an expected 2,200 athletes from 33 countries
• 11 sports will be centrally contested in the Parque Deportivo Estadio Nacional, a hub of sport venues that will be the heart of the Santiago Games (goalball, Para athletics, football 5-a-side, football 7-a-side, Para judo, Para swimming, wheelchair basketball, wheelchair rugby, wheelchair tennis, Para powerlifting, and Para taekwondo)
• The official mascot for the Santiago Games is a seven-coloured bird named Fiu
• The slogan is ‘Our Meeting Point’ to highlight how sport can bring people and communities together