Chantal Givens has thrived on challenges since childhood, and finds the determination to persevere through obstacles. She participated in a variety of sports as a child, settling on springboard diving in her early teens. Nearing the end of a 10-year national level diving career, Givens had the opportunity to volunteer at the 2001 Triathlon World Championships in Edmonton, handing out water bottles at the finish line. Seeing the expressions on the faces of the finishers motivated her to attempt the sport.
For Givens ‘trying’ meant starting out by registering for a long distance race before even owning a bike, and it was during her rookie season that she discovered the depth of triathletes when she had an opportunity of compete at some international age group events.
Until the sport of para-triathlon was further developed, Givens trained and raced in a variety of events including triathlons, cross-country, and marathons. She has always strived to push to the next level, and, in particular, loves the challenge of running down competitors.
Three-time world championship team member…
Works as a physical education teacher at Collège Jeanne-Sauvé… Married with two stepchildren…Born without her left hand… Ran in the 2012 Boston Marathon…
NOTABLE INTERNATIONAL RESULTS
- 2016 - ITU World Para-triathlon Series (Aguilas, Spain) – 1st
- 2015 – World Championships 7th
- 2015 – ITU World Para-Triathlon Series (Detroit) 4th
- 2015 – ITU World Para-Triathlon Series (Rio) 4th
- 2014 – World Championships 4th
- 2014 – ITU World Para-Triathlon Series (Magog) 2nd
- 2013 – World Championships 4th
- 2013 – ITU World Para-Triathlon Series (Edmonton) 1st
- 2012 – ITU World Para-Triathlon Series (Edmonton) 1st
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil