Can you imagine sitting alone in gym class while the rest of the class is having fun? Can you imagine needing costly, adapted equipment to participate in almost every sport? Can you imagine not having the support you need to excel to the highest levels in a sport you love?
Now IMAGINE… A Canada where sport is available to all.
Our GOAL is to ensure that the programs, equipment and people are in place to propel more Canadians with a disability all the way from the playground to the Paralympic podium.
Our DREAM is that no Canadian with a disability should ever face a barrier to participating in sport.
There are more than four million Canadians with a disability, but only a very small percentage of them are active in sport. Far too many Canadians with a disability have not been given the opportunity to become athletes.
Why does this matter?
- The cost of inactivity is very high, from escalating medical costs to increased social isolation
- Physical activity offers people the opportunity to boost their self-esteem and to prevent many of the health conditions that affect people of all abilities, such as depression, fatigue and obesity
- There are also missed medals and lost opportunities for national pride when motivated Canadians do not get identified or supported in their dream to excel on the highest stage
That is why we are now REIMAGINING:
- Our schools as places where every child can participate in sport – where students with a disability are welcomed on to the field of play
- Our communities as places where every single individual is encouraged to reach their full potential by participating in sport, regardless of ability
- A world of international podiums filled with Canadian athletes fully supported to deliver their best
- Canada as the world’s leading Paralympic nation
But this is not something we can accomplish alone. We need your support to ensure that Canada leads the way in removing barriers for people to participate in physical activity and sport, from the playground all the way to the podium.
The Paralympic Foundation of Canada’s charitable registration number is 813904190RR0001.
Board of Directors
- Danny Buntain
- Michael Edgson
- Marc-André Fabien
- Monique Giroux
- Julie Magner
- Chantal Petitclerc
- Mazhar Shaikh
- Mark Starratt
- Gaétan Tardif
- Ellen Waxman
- Jim Westlake
Dean Brokop, Manager, Foundation
Tel: 613.569.4333 x249
Paralympic Foundation of Canada
100-85 Plymouth Street
Ottawa, ON, K1S 3E2
Tel: 613-569-4333 x249