Come try sports for people with a disability, meet athletes and learn how to get involved!
WINNIPEG, Oct. 24, 2013 – The Canadian Paralympic Committee, supported by the involvement of local sport partners in Winnipeg, is thrilled to present Winnipeg’s first-ever Parasport Festival on Sat. Oct. 26.
Everyone is invited to come try out parasports for themselves, including archery, para-athletics, sledge hockey and more!
Meet Paralympic athletes, get autographs and see how they apply their athletic skills to earn medals for Canada. Discover opportunities to get involved in parasport – whether as an athlete, coach, parent or volunteer. All activities are free and open to everyone.
- WHAT: A Parasport Festival: Learn more about and try a multitude of parasports!
- WHEN & WHERE: Saturday, Oct. 26, 2013 from 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. at the Max Bell Centre, University of Manitoba, 109 Sidney Smith St. Winnipeg, R3T 2M6
- WHO: Manitoba Paralympians Colin Mathieson and Rhea Schmidt
- Colin Mathieson: Paralympic bronze medallist wheelchair racer and four-time Paralympian; Rhea Schmidt: A two-time Paralympian with a visual impairment, Schmidt placed eighth in the 100m freestyle at the London 2012 Paralympics.
- Also: Volunteers, Coaches, Athletes and Administrators from participating sport organizations below.
- HOW: Come by or pre-register by contacting: Laura Ferris, CPC Senior Coordinator, Recruitment Programs, by email firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, please visit www.Paralympic.ca/getinvolved
MEDIA CONTACT ONSITE: Laura Ferris - Cell: 613-298-1195
With thanks to Volunteers, Coaches, Athletes and Administrators from: Sport Manitoba, Canadian Sport Centre – Manitoba, Manitoba Wheelchair Sports Association, Manitoba Blind Sports Association, Archery Manitoba, Tennis Manitoba, Volleyball Manitoba, Manitoba Rowing Association, Sail Manitoba, Curl Manitoba, Sledge Hockey Manitoba, Paddle Manitoba, Athletics Manitoba, Water Ski Wakeboard Manitoba
About the Canadian Paralympic Committee
The Canadian Paralympic Committee is a non-profit, private organization with 25 member sports organizations dedicated to strengthening the Paralympic Movement. The Canadian Paralympic Committee's vision is to be the world’s leading Paralympic nation. Its mission is to lead the development of a sustainable Paralympic sport system in Canada to enable athletes to reach the podium at the Paralympic Games. By supporting Canadian high performance athletes with a disability and promoting their success, the Canadian Paralympic Committee inspires all Canadians with a disability to get involved in sport through programs delivered by its member organizations. For more information, visit www.paralympic.ca
For more information, please contact:
Manager, Media Relations and Communications
Canadian Paralympic Committee
Phone: 613-569-4333 ext. 243
Senior Coordinator, Recruitment Programs
Canadian Paralympic Committee
Phone: (613) 569-4333 x233
Cell phone onsite in Winnipeg: 613-298-1195
Follow the Canadian Paralympic Committee: