Source: International Paralympic Committee
Five para-athletes have been shortlisted for the Allianz Athlete of the Month poll for December 2015, and the public are now invited to vote for their winner via http://www.paralympic.org.
The nominations are:
Stanislav Chokhlaev, Russia, Nordic skiing
Chokhlaev completed a 100 per cent win record across biathlon and cross-country skiing at the season opening World Cup at home in Tyumen, Russia with guide Oleg Kolodiichuk.
Joachim Gerard, Belgium, wheelchair tennis
During the early rounds of the NEC Masters, Gerard defeated No. 1 Shingo Kunieda of Japan. The win spoiled Kunieda’s run for an undefeated season. Gerard went on to beat Kunieda in the finals for the men’s singles title.
Bethany Firth, Great Britain, swimming
Firth set a new world record in the 200m freestyle S14 (2:05.88) at the British National Para Swimming Championships, just months after a fractured wrist caused her to miss out on the 2015 World Championships.
Tyler McGregor, Canada, ice sledge hockey
McGregor helped Canada to victory at the Torino 2015 International Ice Sledge Hockey Tournament in Italy, netting 10 goals across five games to become the competition’s top scorer.
Damien Seguin, France, sailing
Seguin closed 2015 undefeated in the 2.4mR. He won his fourth Para World Sailing Championship title. A week later, he edged Australian favourite Matt Bugg by just two points at the World Cup.
The public has until 12:00 (CET) on Thursday (21 January) to vote for the athlete they want to be the Allianz Athlete of the Month for December 2015 via the http://www.paralympic.org homepage.
The nominations are compiled from submissions by National Paralympic Committees (NPCs) and International Federations (IFs).
The 2015 winners so far are:
- January – Andrew Soule, USA, Nordic skiing
- February – Chris Vos, the Netherlands, snowboard
- March – Maksym Nikolenko, Ukraine, table tennis
- April – Nigel Murray, Great Britain, boccia
- May – Martina Caironi, Italy, athletics
- June – Eduard Ramonov, Russia, football 7-a-side
- July – Siamand Rahman, Iran, powerlifting
- August – Trevor Hirschfield, Canada, wheelchair rugby
- September – Moran Samuel, Israel, rowing
- October – Beatrice Vio, Italy, wheelchair fencing
- November – Zahra Nemati, Iran, archery
For further information, please contact Craig Spence, IPC Director of Media and Communications on e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or call +49-228-2097-230. Alternatively, please visit www.paralympic.org.