Meet Elisabeth Walker-Young. She is Team Canada’s Chef de Mission for the Toronto 2015 Parapan American Games. Elisabeth is an accomplished young woman with lots to bring to the table. To get to know her a little better, here are the top 10 things you want know about Elisabeth.
Let’s get started ...
1. Elisabeth is a Paralympian!
A four-time Paralympian, winning Bronze in Atlanta 1996, 3 Gold & 3 World Records in Sydney 2000 and 1 Bronze, 2 Silvers in Athens 2004.
2. She is a shark in the water.
Literally. With her favourite shark swim cap (fin and all!).
3. Her name ‘Elisabeth’ is spelled with a ’s’ NOT ‘z’
(get it right or that shark will come after you Sharknado style)
4. She is also a proud mother of her daughter Isla
(and Joey... but we will get to him next)
5. This is Joey/Jo/Jojo.
Her second child…aka her 9.5yr old Weimaraner who does everything with her including hiking, running and snowshoeing!
6. Elisabeth was the Assistant Chef de Mission for Team Canada at the London 2012 Paralympics.
(Gaetan Tardif was the Chef - looks like they got along swimmingly)
7. Her drink of choice is a nice glass of red wine or sparkling water with lemon (both are a health choice!).
8. Not only does Elisabeth have 7 Paralympic medals but also a Queen’s Diamond Jubilee medal.
Here she is receiving the medal from Minister Bal Gosal (also the exact day she found out she was pregnant!)
9. Music obsessed is a term you can use for Elisabeth's passion for sound.
She has almost 100 playlists for her spin classes as she makes new ones for almost every class! (yes that also means she teaches a spin class; she does it all.)
10. She loves sport for many reasons but meeting her husband through sport takes the cake.
10.1 In her words: 'short arms make for oddly close-up selfies’
And those are only 10 of the many fascinating facts about Canada’s new Chef de Mission. Are you as excited as us to have Elisabeth lead Team Canada? Learn more about Elisabeth’s role as Chef de Mission here.
Coordinator, Digital & Social Media