The 2013 International Paralympic Committee (IPC) Athletics World Championship begins Saturday in Lyon, France. Thirty-five athletes were named to the Canadian team following the World Championship Trials in late June; they will challenge 1,100 athletes from 99 countries over nine days of competition.
You can follow all the action through a live stream of the entire competition, for information visit www.worlds2013.athletics.ca/live-stream.
A number of notable Canadian athletes begin their quest for the podium on day one of competition including World Record holder and Paralympic Games medalist Diane Roy as well as 2011 IPC World Championship medalist Braedon Dolfo.
At the last edition of the IPC World Championships in 2011 Canada came away with 12 medals; four gold, four silver, and four bronze. Every individual medalist from that 2011 World Championship team is back to defend their title or improve their world ranking.
CANADIANS IN ACTION ON DAY 1
- Women's 200-metres semi finals in the T53 and T54 wheelchair classifications will see Ilana Dupont (T53) of Saskatoon, Sask., Keira-Lyn Frie (T54) of Saskatoon, Sask., and Sarah White (T53) of Montreal, Que., all compete in their respective classes
- Rachael Burrows of Barrie, Ont., will take to the start line in the women's T34 wheelchair classification 200-metres final
- The men's 200-metres semi finals will have Braedon Dolfo of Langley, B.C., in the T13 visually impaired classification and both Alister McQueen of Calgary, Alta., and Jackie Marciano of Halifax, N.S., in the T44 ambulatory classification
- Dustin Walsh and guide runner Dylan Williamson, both of New Westminster, B.C., compete in the T11 visually impaired classification 200-metres heats; pending qualification the semi finals are scheduled later in the day
- The T54 wheelchair classification 5000-metres semi final is scheduled with Keira-Lyn Frie and Diane Roy of Sherbrooke, Que.
- Josh Cassidy of Ottawa, Ont., and Jean-Paul Compaore of Sherbrooke, Que., will compete in the men's T54 wheelchair classification 10000-metres final
GET IN ON THE CONVERSATION
You can interact through Twitter with a number of the athletes on the IPC World Championship team. Visit the social media hub section on the main page of www.worlds2013.athletics.ca to follow and tweet the athletes and Athletics Canada directly.
IPC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM MEMBERS ON TWITTER
- Rachael Burrows - @rachaelburrows
- Josh Cassidy - @JoshCassidy84
- Earle Connor - @EarleConnor
- Nathan DeWitt - @NathanJDeWitt
- Braedon Dolfo - @BDolfo93
- Robert Hughes - @Rob_HotWheels
- Jackie Marciano - @JackieMarcianoAlister McQueen - @AlisterMcQueen
- Virginia Mclachlan - @vmclachlan2012
- Diane Roy - @dianeroy71
- Austin Smeenk - @austin_smeenk
- Michelle Stilwell - @Stilwell2013
- Kevin Strybosch - @kevstry
- Curtis Thom - @wheelzontheline
- Dustin Walsh - @DWAthletics
For all Team Canada information during the 2013 IPC World Championship visit Athletics Canada's official IPC World Championship website at www.worlds2013.athletics.ca.
Coordinator, Marketing and Communications
(613) 260-5580 x.3332