The Canadian Paralympic Committee is excited to be seeking applications for the role of athlete representative on the Americas Paralympic Committee Executive Committee.
With just about six months to go until the Opening Ceremony of the Parapan American Games, we invite National Sport Organizations to nominate one (1) candidate for election.
To be eligible for election, an individual must be:
- an active athlete
- have competed in the last Parapan American Games (Guadalajara 2011) or at the upcoming Parapan American Games (Toronto 2015).
When nominating an athlete, we ask you to complete the attached APC form in full. The nominated athlete should personally complete the Nomination Form and sign the IPC Athletes’ Council Election Campaign Rules (please note that the same standards apply for APC elections) as well as the Undertaking.
Furthermore, an electronic photograph of the nominee for future publication on promotional material needs to be submitted electronically (see attached Nomination form for specifications).
- Each CPC NSO (Paralympic Sport) Member in good standing as of the date of the Call for nominations is permitted to nominate one candidate.
- Two (2) CPC Board members are also permitted to nominate one candidate
The selected candidate will demonstrate the below qualifications.
- To have a variety of experiences and skills demonstrating ability to lead, motivate and foster team building;
- To demonstrate the skills to be a spokesperson on behalf of the CPC on an international committee;
- To be open to other cultures and understand the politics and players of international Paralympic sports agenda;
- To demonstrate strong organizational skills;
- To demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills;
- To demonstrate effective communication skills (written and oral);
- To be prepared to commit an extensive amount of time to the role;
- To have experience in, and commitment to, the advocacy of athlete related issues.
- To be committed to the Paralympic Movement in Canada and have an active role within your NSO with athlete related files.
- To have the ability to communicate in both Canada’s official languages (the work at the APC will be conducted mainly in English, however Spanish would also be an asset).
- To be aware of and understand CPC strategic framework, policies and issues related to Paralympic Games and Para Pan America Games
- To be involved, or have previous experience, with the CPC
Please send your application to the Executive Director, Sport Catherine Gosselin-Després at firstname.lastname@example.org by April 7th, 2015.